Wednesday, September 23, 2009

What's in a Name....

I have always thought how great it would be to pick out a name for my child - I thought no big deal - there are lots of names that I like. However, when it came time to pick out a name for little girl - I was at a loss. For a couple of months I liked one name, then I didn't like it so much. The I would like another name. My husband finally suggested that we each create a list of names and then we would compare it. Were any the same - NOPE - not at all. So then we decided that we would each create a "top 5" list. Which we did. Then we rated our own list and then the list of the other - any agreement - not really.



So we waited - hoping a great inspiration would strike.



Back in February, when I first realized just how frustrating choosing a name was going to be, I said to God - " You know Lord, it would be really nice if you named the baby - in fact could you just tell Glenn in a dream what we should call Little Girl" As the months went by, I found myself asking that over and over - "Lord, could you tell Glenn her name in a dream" Now why was I asking for it to be in a dream???!!! I don't know - it's just the way the prayer came out of my heart.

March, April, May passed - still we were no closer to a name. June came, then July - still no name. And Baby Girl was due July 29th! Honestly, it really started to get embarrassing, people were now asking 'So what's her name" To which I would reply "We haven't decided" and then their response would be " Oh, so you are keeping it a secret?"

Nope - we're just that lame - we haven't landed on the right one yet;)

We did, however, decide on a middle name "Elizabeth" in honor of Glenn's sister who introduced us and so is somewhat responsible for all of this. And as it turns out Elizabeth is a family name on both sides of our families.

Even during labor - my midwife asked what her name was going to be...

Now back up 2 weeks before Little Girl arrived.... Glenn comes to me and says - "you I had a dream the other night, and ever since then I've got this name stuck in my head and I just can't shake it." Now this name was not on either of our short lists. And I perked up and paid attention as it was a name that came to him in a dream - I didn't say anything to him at the time- I wanted to wait it out and make sure there weren't any other names that might show up in a dream. Quite honestly I was caught off guard.

So there we were, in the labor room, Little Girl had just been born. The midwife asked "So do we have a name?" My husband looked at me and said "Do we?" To which I replied "Addison"
He asked me if I was sure - and I replied "Most defiantly, I asked God to tell you her name in a dream and He did"

My husband told me I was holding out on him. maybe I was - just a little - but I had to wrap my brain around the fact that God had indeed granted me my request - He named my little girl.

Addison Elizabeth: Addison is of Old English origin with the spiritual connotation of "In God's Image" Ez 36:27 "And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes & be careful to observe my ordinances."
Elizabeth is of Hebrew origin that means "Oath of God" with a spiritual connotation of :"Consecrated"

So I take this as a promise from the Lord, and a small glimpse of the wonderful plan He has for her life. I am honored and blessed that He has entrusted us with the care, teaching and up bringing of this precious little girl.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

Wow Carla, that is so awesome.

Jolanthe said...

Love hearing the story of her name!!

Davene said...

This was fun to read. What a special story of how Addison got her name!

Karla said...

that made me cry. Thanks for sharing God's wonderful provision.

Christin said...

LOVE it!! God thumbprint is all over that little one. Her name is just the beginning, eh? :)

xo