Thursday, April 24, 2008

ummm... could I breathe - please?

So I am sitting here typing at my desk for the first time in weeks, and I catch myself kinda gasping for breath. I ignored it for a little while - but you know how it is when there is that little irritation that you ignore, and then suddenly it builds up in to a big irritation? This is precisely one of those moments.
and... .ummm. no, for those of you who are wondering if I am just that out of shape that typing (of all things) causes me to gasp for breath.

Actually, it was the basketballs.

But not in the way one would think - I wasn't running up and down the basketball court or shooting hoops -nope, not me had to make it a little different - It was the basketballs that were cut open and had vases poked through them so that I could arrange flowers and grass in them. Basketballs that we were altering to use as centerpieces for an athletic awards banquet. It was the basketballs. Basketballs that are made out of latex.



Last year, I was diagnosed with a number of allergies, the most dangerous one being that I am allergic to latex. Latex is made from the sap of rubber trees and everything seems to be made with it. So today as I'm working on the arrangements and handling these latex laden basketballs (I actually had another designer do the arranging -but I still had to transport to the event location. ) So now, after I have finished all of this, I notice that I fell like I 'm struggling to breathe - apparently, I've delt with this sort of thing for so long, I have to actually stop and think about what I am handling and if it has latex in it. Unfortunately, I don't always think if it in time....



So today was one of those days....



But in case you were wondering - the arrangements we adorable!!! What is it about the artistic mind that is will to sacrifice for art? I know, I know - I really need to get my priorities straight!

4 comments:

Davene said...

That's a new one for me. I've certainly never read a blog post quite like this before. :)

Or heard of flower-filled chopped basketballs for a centerpiece!!!

Are you going to post a picture?

Hope you catch your breath soon! :)

Lindsay said...

ooo I have a latex sensitivity as well.. be careful.. each time you are exposed to latex and have a reaction the next time will be worse.. totally not trying to scare you.. but wanted you to know so you will be more careful around it :-)

Kristen said...

I hope you could breath long enough to take some pics! I wanna see! BTW...congrats on the recent DNR/Valley accomplishment. Like we didn't already know you were the best! :)

pyrotechny said...

I want to see the photos too!